Beat Feuz finally home from the hospital

06 December 2012 22:30
Beat Feuz Sölden
Beat Feuz Sölden -

After nearly five weeks of stay in the Bern hospital, Beat Feuz was finally released and was able to go home last Saturday. With the current World Cup season already underway, it is uncertain when the Swiss skier might be able to rejoin the Tour.

At a press conference in Bern, Feuz explained how things were slowly getting better and how he was gaining confidence in the possibility of being healthy again.

"Not being able to leave the hospital for five weeks, since Soelden was not easy,” last year's Overall World Cup silver medalist said of the "toughest five weeks" of his life. "It was a hard time, especially when the knee began to bleed again and each next seatback took a hard toll on my psyche. "

At the moment Feuz is very cautious about announcing his comeback to the World Cup. And that comes as no surprise as he underwent five surgeries in the past five weeks - each under general anesthesia.

Feuz is aware of the situation and of how difficult the comeback might be.

“I must be satisfied with how the knee feels, if I plan on going back to the World Cup. Currently I have no idea whether that could be next fall or later. If I will have to constantly take medications, suffer from chronic pain or fail to regain full range of motion - it wouldn’t make sense and I would probably quit,” Feuz lays out the worst-case scenario.

As far as Feuz’s future career goes, things are not yet very clear but Feuz is looking into the future and hoping for a full recovery.

"My goal is clear: I want to continue my career. But when I will be able to stand on my skis again, I can’t really say at this point.  I knew two weeks ago that this season and the World Championships in Schladming were not going to happen for me. So preparing for the next, 2013/14 season over the summer would be the ideal situation, hopefully that can be realistic“ the five time World Cup winner laid out his future plans.

Feuz is till on crutches and according to the doctor treating him, there is an intense period of rehabilitation ahead of him.

"The knee has recovered from its worst stage and we were able to achieve the current stable situation. However, it would be premature to say that the whole infection is gone. Mr. Feuz must continue for the time being to take antibiotics and we will be closely monitoring any further developments. Only if all goes well he will be able to increase the load on the knee and proceed with strengthening and standard rehabilitation,” Dr. Zumstein said.

"From a medical perspective, it's about bringing the knee into the best possible condition. What will happen after, we will have to wait and see,” he added.