Cortina d'Ampezzo downhill race cancelled

18 January 2014 10:00
Cortina d'Ampezzo downhill
Cortina d'Ampezzo downhill -
FIS

Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy - Due to adverse weather forecast combined with soft snow conditions, today's DH in Cortina was cancelled.

"Everything was done that was possible but we didn't feel comfortable about the situation and had to cancel the race”, said FIS chief race director Atle Skaardal. “According to the weather forecast fog, snow, rain was excepted before noon. The course condition will not allow us to race a super-G tomorrow in any case. We have to try and find a realistic plan and see if we can do something tomorrow. I don't think it's more than a 50-50 chance to have a race tomorrow, if the weather is going to be really bad now this afternoon and the night again."

“Continuous snowfall is forecast until Tuesday morning. But we will not give up. We will try to do the best with the situation", he concluded.

Connections coaches, Maria Höfl-Riesch, Lara Gut and Stacey Cook as athletes representatives were also involved in the decision process. Every one agreed no the decision. “It was close to being good enough, but it wouldn't have been a fair race”, said Stacey Cook. “I think with the Olympics being so close, it was on a lot of minds not to risk something happening so close to the Olympics. For the whole field and especially the later runners, the snow would not have held up.”

“We've gotten pretty used to this. We haven't had any races cancelled until today, but we've lost a few training runs. We just have to take it for what it is, be professional and keep the track in our heads. It will be pretty easy to stay focused for tomorrow.”

The downhill race is then rescheduled for tomorrow Sunday at 11:30 CET, instead of the super G race originally planned.