Mother Nature forces cancellation of Crans-Montana downhill
Crans-Montana, Switzerland – After yesterday's bad fortune, there was hope for a good race today as the weather looked more favourable in the morning.
The downhill race was originally scheduled for 10:30 but due to heavy snowfall over the past few days and the amount of work needed on the race track, the jury first decided to postpone the race until 12:30. Following a last inspection at 11:00, the head coaches of each team and the FIS Race Directors unanimously decided to unfortunately cancel the race because the snow conditions were too soft and the safety of the racers couldn't be guaranteed.
“The course presented too soft conditions today, despite a lot of hard work from the whole organising committee and the course crew,” explained FIS Chief Race Director Atle Skaardal. “So it's a very sad day, but the safety is the most important and it was not possible to have a safe race today. That's the reason why we had to cancel. If you look at the amount of snow that we've had over the last days, it is obvious that it is difficult to prepare a race course under these circumstances, especially in downhill of course where the requirements are extremely high in terms of safety"
There is only one possibility until the end of the season to reschedule the race and that would be next week in la Thuile (ITA).
“This is of course on very short notice,” Skaardal said. “But we will check with the stakeholders and see what they think about this idea of rescheduling the race in la Thuile. It is still too early to say yes or no.”
Monday in another chance to see racers in action as the 8th slalom of the season is scheduled to start at 10:00 and 13:00 CET.
“I think slalom tomorrow should be ok,” Skaardal continued. “We will probably not have really icy conditions, but slalom means of course a very different speed and it's a different question in terms of safety. I am confident that we will have a good slalom race tomorrow.”