• First World Cup appearance in 2005 at the Pre-Olympic competition in Pragelato where he landed on his first top ten result, 6th place in the team sprint.
• Two months later he captured his first individual top 10 spot placing sixth at the traditional 50km in Oslo.
• Breakthrough season in 2009 - at the World Ski Championships in Liberec he finished second in 50 km mass Start Free.
• First individual World Cup podium in the 2009/10 season he clinched his first individual World Cup podium in Kuusamo
• First World Cup win in La Clusaz in 30 km mass start.
• Personal best in Oslo 2011 - two silver medals at the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2011 (skiathlon & 50 km mass start).
• Maxim Vylegzhanin is a police inspector
• He comes from an area where they speak a special language next to Russian, which is called Udmurt.
• He grew up with his parents Mikhail and Rufirna and his sister Natalia (04.09.1980) and his brother Alexander (07.07.1996).