Cross-Country Injuries

14 October 2014 09:09
Anne Kyllönen
Anne Kyllönen -

Little bit more than a month is left until the start of the new FIS Cross-Country World Cup season but a few athletes are coping with injuries.

Saarinen and Kyllönen injured

Finnish Olympic medalists Aino-Kaisa Saarinen and Anne Kyllönen have suffered foot injuries. Saarinen fell during a jogging workout at the training camp in Ramsau and hurt hurt ankle. Recovery from the injury is progressing well. “Good news is that I can put weight on the foot. Healing of the fracture is progressing according to schedule. Next week I am going to try water running and cycling,” Saarinen said in a statement.


Another Finnish skier got injured as Anne Kyllönen suffered a stress fracture of her right toe. The injury has slowed down but did not jeopardise the preparation for the upcoming winter. However, Kyllönen could not join the Finnish at the training camp in Val Senales. Finnish national team head coach Reijo Jylhä is concerned about Kyllönen’s training. “Anne does not need a break from training. She is able to skate and do balance workouts. She can do also jogging. Now we have to think how the toe can be supported so that the injury doesn’t develop into something serious,” Jylhä said.

The Finnish team in Val Senales, (ITA) consists of Krista Pärmäkoski (former Lähteenmäki), Kerttu Niskanen, Iivo Niskanen, Lari Lehtonen, Perttu Hyvärinen and Nordic Combined Ilkka Herola.

Sophie Caldwell broke elbow again

For the second time in six months USA’s Sophie Caldwell broke elbow. The injury happened last week on October 7 in Park City where the U.S. Ski team is holding its high altitude and dry-land training camp. Caldwell was on the way to a run at Park City Mountain Resor when she tripped over a low-hanging cable in the parking lot and came crashing down on her elbow.

Two elbows in one summer could be bad luck, but good luck is having the best teammates and friends in the world.

The American standout from the 2013/2014 season entered surgery at the Park City Hospital later that day, where doctors removed several bone chips and inserted a screw and a pin.