Did you know? Fun facts for Szklarska Poreba classic competitions
PREVIEW LADIES WORLD CUP SZKLARSKA POREBA 19 JAN 2014
10km classic style: Kowalczyk in favorite event on home snow
- 10km classic style is Justyna Kowalczyk’s best event, with 10 World Cup victories. She has six wins in sprint classic style.
- Kowalczyk has won six of the last seven World Cup races in 10km classic style, going back to 2011. Marit Bjørgen won the seventh, in La Clusaz in January 2013.
- Justyna Kowalczyk (six) and Marit Bjørgen (four) have won all 10 races held in 10km classic since the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver 2010.
- Of the last 19 international races (including WCH and tour stages), Kowalczyk has won 13, while Bjørgen has six wins since Petra Majdic (SLO) won in the Tour de Ski in Val di Fiemme on 9 Jan 2010. The last athlete except Bjørgen and Kowalczyk to win a regular 10km classic in the World Cup was more than four years ago, Aino Kaisa Saarinen (FIN) in Kuusamo on 29 Nov 2009.
- Saarinen is the only active athlete in addition to Bjørgen and Kowalczyk who has won a WC-race on 10km classic style.
- Justyna Kowalczyk has not been outside the podium in a World Cup race in 10km classic style since a 7th place in Kuusamo in Nov 2009 (not including single tour stages). In the last 12 races in the discipline, including the WCH 2011, Kowalczyk has managed seven wins, four times runner-up and once in third place.
- Kowalczyk is currently only in place number eight in the overall World cup after not starting the Tour de Ski. Ahead of Kowalczyk are four Norwegians and three Finnish ladies. None of these seven are set to compete in Szklarska Poreba due to national championships, so Kowalczyk could climb all the way to fourth position with two wins on home snow this weekend.
PREVIEW MEN WORLD CUP SZKLARSKA POREBA 19 JAN 2014
15km classic style: Six different winners in last six WC-races
- The 15km classic style has been an open affair during the last seasons. The last 10 regular World Cup races have seen eight different winners, with Petter Northug jr. (NOR) and Alexey Poltoranin (KAZ) the only ones to win twice.
- The last six regular World Cup races in this event have finished with six different winners.
- Alexey Poltoranin (KAZ) has finished on the podium in five of the last six 15km classic style races held, World Cup and tour stages.
- Poltoranin has finished on the podium in his last three regular World Cup events in 15km classic style, one win and two times second place.
- Poltoranin has four international wins in 15km classic style (World Cup and tour stages). Two of these wins are regular World Cup events. Vladimir Smirnov is the only other athlete to win a 15km classic style for Kazakhstan. Smirnov won five World Cup races in this event in his career.
- On both his second places Poltoranin was behind a Norwegian athlete (Pål Golberg and Petter Northug). The Norwegian team will not participate in Szklarska Poreba due to national championships
- Russian skiers are preparing for the Olympic Winter Games on home snow in Sochi. The last Russian man to win a 15km classic style World Cup race was Vassili Rotchev in Otepää in January 2006, more than eight years ago. Maxim Vylegzhanin did win a stage in the Tour de Ski 2012/2013 in this event, though.
- Dario Cologna (SUI) might race his first World Cup events of the season after injury. 15km classic is Cologna’s best single event, he has three wins in this event in World Cup and tour stages.
Follow us on Twitter:
International Ski Federation @fiscrosscountry
Infostrada Sports @Infostrada2014