Four in a row for Marit Bjørgen at the Ruka Triple - UPDATED
Norway's Marit Bjørgen has won her fourth Ruka Triple in a row. Charlotte Kalla of Sweden skied her way from 4th position at the start of today's final stage and battled Bjørgen up the final hill to claim second place. Therese Johaug of Norway lifted the pace on the final lap which separated Poland's Justyna Kowalczyk from the group and took third place on the day.
- Fourth in a row overall win in Ruka Triple for Marit Bjørgen
- Johaug and Kalla came back on Bjørgen at 3.9 km
- Bjørgen caught Kowalczyk at the end of the second lap
- Kowalczyk fell back from the leading pack before the 8.9 km mark
- Bjørgen and Kalla skied together on the final uphill
- Bjørgen was first in the last corner before the home stretch
- Kalla had the fastest time today of 26:43.2, Johaug was +1.3 sec slower
- 60th World Cup win for Marit Bjørgen
- Bjørgen and Johaug tie the lead in the Distance World Cup with 89 points
- Bjørgen takes the Overall World Cup lead
Therese Johaug (NOR)I tried to push hard from the beginning. I gave all I had at the end of the competition but Marit and Charlotte were little bit better than me. I’m happy with the third place. I think I lost the victory in the last corner. However, from Kuusamo I am taking home that my shape is good and I am looking forward to next competitions in Lillehammer and Davos.
Charlotte Kalla (SWE)I had a good feeling today. I felt strong and my skating technique was good. I tried to keep focused and stay with the others as long as possible. Until the last uphill I skied very well. At the end it was tough, I had stiff legs and I was very tired.
Marit Bjørgen (NOR)I’m very happy to be leaving Kuusamo in the yellow bib. I was not so happy after Fridays sprint. But already yesterday I felt it was a good competition. Today I had to ski my own competition. I knew they (Johaug and Kalla) were coming fast from behind. I knew they will have to spend some energy before they catch me. Therese attacked in the last lap. I followed her and I knew that if I am first before the last uphill I can win.
FIS Cross-Country World Cup Kuusamo (FIN)1. Marit Bjørgen (NOR) 43:41.12. Charlotte Kalla (SWE) +0.83. Therese Johaug (NOR) +1.3
Overall World Cup Standing1. Marit Bjørgen (NOR) 309 pts2. Charlotte Kalla (SWE) 261 pts3. Therese Johaug (NOR) 220 pts
Distance World Cup Standing1. Marit Bjørgen (NOR) 89 pts1. Therese Johaug (NOR) 89 pts2. Charlotte Kalla (SWE) 87 pts
Complete results available HERE.