Kowalczyk thrills home crowd with victory in 10 km classic
Justyna Kowalczyk (POL) thrilled the home crowd with her victory today in the 10 km classic in Szklarska Poreba, Poland. For one lap the lead group of athletes stayed in contact with Kowalczyk but then it became a one woman competition for the win.
As in the men's competition it was again two Russian's on the podium in the ladies' competition but this time in the second and third positions. In second place behind Kowalczyk's winning time of 34:34.2 was Yulia Tchekaleva +41.8 and in third was Julia Ivanova +1:15.2.
- For one lap the lead group of athletes stayed in contact with Kowalczyk but then it became a one woman competition for the win.
- Kowalczyk, Tchekaleva and Herrmann opened a gap during the first lap.
- Kowalczyk pulled away from the leading group in the second lap and continuously increased the gap.
- Tchekaleva dropped Herrmann in the third lap
- A chasing group with Nystad, Böhler, Herrmann, Stephen, Ivanova
- Julia Ivanova left the group behind in the last uphill in the last lap
Justyna Kowalczyk (POL)
It was a difficult competition in tough snow conditions. I wanted to go fast from the beginning. The course was very hard and in this conditions it was like Alpe Cermis. I lost some speed in the downhills but my skis worked perfect. I had everything under control and I am very happy. Today’s competition was a good test before the Games but I still do not know how my shape is.
Yulia Tchekaleva (RUS)
It was a good day. I felt quite strong and tried to follow Justyna but she was too strong. The Organising Committee did a great job with snow.
Julia Ivanova (RUS)
I am very happy for third place. I had a very good day today. I would like to thank the organisers for the work they did so that we could race today.
Ladies' 10 km classic
1. KOWALCZYK Justyna POL 34:34.2
2. TCHEKALEVA Yulia RUS 35:16.0 +41.8
3. IVANOVA Julia RUS 35:49.4 +1:15.2
4. HERRMANN Denise GER +1:19.1
5. NYSTAD Claudia GER +1:21.2
Complete results are available HERE.