Northug Jr. wins stage 6 in Val di Fiemme
Petter Northug Jr. of Norway has won his first competition of the season during the 6th stage of the Veissmann FIS Tour de Ski performance by Craft sportswear in Val di Fiemme, Italy. It was here almost one year ago that he became World Champion in the 15 km classic interval start, and it appears the tracks of Fiemme still treat him well.
In second place today was Tour leader Martin Johnsrud Sundby +9.7 seconds behind Northug's winning time of 24:45.6. Completing the Norwegian sweep of the podium was Chris Jespersen +16.0 back.
- First victory of the season for Petter Northug Jr. (NOR)
- Northug led at all splits, except the first at 1.3km
- Jespersen bumped Harvey to 4th place and took 3rd in the Overall Tour de Ski standing
- Sundby retained the overall Tour de Ski lead with +48.5 sec
- Martin Johnsrud Sundby (NOR) has clinched the FIS Tour de Ski sprint standing
- Four Norwegian skiers in top 5
Petter Northug jr. (NOR)
I am happy with my fitness. I am getting stronger with each competition. I do not think I can help Martin tomorrow on Alpe Cermis. I will try to have a good skiing tomorrow. This time I am not as tired going to the final stage.
Martin Johnsrud Sundby (NOR)
I felt quite tired after yesterday’s competition. I felt better in the second lap. I have to recover well today and get ready for the Final Climb. It will be a pure pain.
OFFICIAL RESULTS - MEN
1. NORTHUG Petter jr. NOR 24:45.6
2. SUNDBY Martin Johnsrud NOR +9.7
3. JESPERSEN Chris NOR +16.0
4. ROETHE Sjur NOR +29.0
5. HARVEY Alex CAN +35.5
Complete results can be found HERE.
OVERALL TOUR STANDINGS
1. Martin Johnsrud Sundby NOR 2:33.02.6
2. Petter Northug Jr. NOR +48.5
3. Chris Jespersen NOR +1:26.8
4. Alex Harvey CAN +1:44.5
5. Johannes Duerr AUT +2:00.8
Overall Tour standings can be found HERE.
FIS Tour de Ski sprint standing men - Final standing
1. Martin Johnsrud Sundby (NOR) 1:43
2. Petter Northug jr. (NOR) 1:12
3. Alex Harvey (CAN) 1:02