Oeberg records first win and Pellegrino records history in Rybinsk Sprints
Jennie Oeberg of Sweden and Federico Pellegrino of Italy have won the 1.2 km free technique sprint competitions in Rybinsk, Russia. Joining Oeberg on the podium in the ladies’ sprint was Russia’s Natalia Matveeva in second and Switzerland’s Laurien van der Graaf in third. For the men it was two Russian’s on the podium with Pellegrino. In second was Sergey Ustiugov and in third Andrey Parfenov.
- First World Cup final, podium and victory for Oeberg
- First World Cup podium this season for van der Graaf. Third podium in her career. All have been in sprint free
- First World Cup podium for Matveeva since Otepaa 2012
- Pellegrino becomes first athlete to win 3 consecutive World Cup sprint competitions in a row. Also his first 3 career wins.
- Pellegrino now leads the Overall World Cup sprint standings
- Ustiugov takes over the U23 leaders bib from De Fabiani
- First ever World Cup podium for Parfenov
Jennie Oeberg SWE
This was my first ever sprint final so to win is just amazing. I am really so happy. I felt really strong today. I was ready to win. When I fell in the quarterfinal I panicked a little but it all worked out. This gives me confidence for the upcoming Swedish Championships which will be final selections for Falun 2015
Natalia Matveeva RUS
This is a great podium for me. I have been 6th and 4th here before but never on the podium. The spectators were so loud. It was a great racing atmosphere here today. The conditions were challenging. I am happy with myself for this result.
Laurien van der Graaf SUI
I have been in the final twice already this year and been 6th both times. So it feels really great to be on the podium today. It was a photo finish at the line but I was pretty sure that I was in third place. It was a relief to see that in the end I was third and on the podium.
Federico Pellegrino ITA
This is just amazing for me. I can’t believe I have won again. Before Davos I had never won a World Cup and now to have won 3 in a row is just unbelievable. I feel so strong right now. Hopefully with this success I can now find a sponsor for the front of my racing hat! Thank you to Russia for the great hospitality, the friendly people and for cheering for me today. I could hear it.
Sergey Ustiugov RUS
I am happy to be back on the podium again today. I feel that my shape is quite high right now and I hope to be on the podium again tomorrow in the skiathlon.
Andrey Parfenov RUS
This is my first podium ever. It’s great to have my first podium be here in Russia. The fans were great and competing here makes it possible for my family to be here. That is really special.
LADIES - Sprint Free
1. Jennie Oeberg SWE 3:02.54
2. Natalia Matveeva RUS +0.48
3. Laurien van der Graaf SUI +0.68 (PF)
MEN - Sprint Free
1. Federico Pellegrino ITA 2:34.99
2. Sergey Ustiugov RUS +0.69 (PF)
3. Andrey Parfenov RUS +0.77 (PF)
OVERALL SPRINT STANDINGS
1. Ingvild Flugstad Oestberg NOR 385 pts
2. Marit Bjoergen NOR 350 pts
3. Maiken Caspersen Falla NOR 303 pts
1. Federico Pellegrino ITA 330 pts
2. Finn Haagen Krogh NOR 298 pts
3. Alexey Petukhov RUS 294 pts
U23 OVERALL STANDINGS
LADIES - No change to top 3
1. Sergey Ustiugov RUS 236 pts
2. Francesco De Fabiani ITA 175 pts
3. Iivo Niskanen FIN 169 pts
Complete results can be found here: http://data.fis-ski.com/cross-country/results.html