Final Countdown to Schladming 2013
Not only Hopsi, the feisty Schladming 2013 mascot, is counting the days until the start of the “Ski Festival with Heart” from 4th to 17th February 2013. Also athletes, teams, the Organisers, media representatives, fans and everyone involved are ready for the highlight of the Alpine Skiing season. In addition to breath-taking competitions, staging such an event in Schladming guarantees big crowds of fans, VIPs and numerous festivities round the clock.
In 12 days from today, the Opening Ceremony will officially kick off the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships presented by Audi. For years, the Organisers have invested intensive efforts to set a new benchmark in the history of Alpine Skiing. This underlines the high significance of the event in Schladming which will be hosting the event for the second time after 1982.
Some facts and figures:
- Athletes from 72 different nations are entered to compete
- Altogether, 11 medal events are on the schedule, 5 for men, 5 for ladies & one mixed team event
- More than 1000 volunteers will be supporting the World Championships in different areas such as accreditation, transport or hospitality
- The voestalpine Sky Gate, a spectacular steel construction over the finish line which serves as the event’s symbol is 35 metres high and weighs 130 tons
- As presenting sponsor of the World Championships, German automobile manufacturer Audi provides a fleet of 57 vehicles to escort athletes, officials and guests
- Halti, the official clothing supplier of the Organising Committee, is providing more than 7000 pieces of clothing to equip everyone involved
- A 5-Euro silver coin specifically designed for the World Championships will be an official means of payment in Austria with 50,000 pieces produced
- More than 150‘000 tickets have been sold so far, with some further tickets still available
To see the event schedule, click here.
For further information, stay tuned on fisalpine.com and schladming2013.at