Del Bosco out with shoulder injury

17 November 2012 16:52
Christopher Delbosco
Christopher Delbosco -
FIS

Reigning ski cross world champion Chris Del Bosco has set his sights on making a swift recovery from a shoulder injury – and defending his title in 2013. 

The 30-year-old, who lives in Montreal, Que., separated his shoulder after taking a spill in training in Nakiska, Alta., earlier this week, where the Canadian ski cross team is preparing for the inaugural Audi FIS Nakiska Ski Cross World Cup race, which takes place on Dec. 8.

Del Bosco, who has arguably been the most dominant male ski cross racer in the world over the past four years – amassing an incredible 17 World Cup podiums and six victories – had surgery on the injured shoulder in Vail, USA, on Thursday. He will miss the season-opener in Nakiska and is expected to be sidelined for two to three months – although he is known for being a quick healer and hopes to be back on snow sooner rather than later.

“I’ve been in this situation before and I’m confident I know what it takes,” said Del Bosco, who was told he might be out for a year after having knee surgery in 2010 but returned to snow within six months. “This is going to be a great year for Canadian ski cross. I’m bummed I can’t be there to start it off in Canada but I know we will be well represented. I wish all my teammates the best – I will be back to help them out later in the season.”

Del Bosco, a talented all-round athlete who has spent the past two summers racing his mountain bike against the best in the world, expects to be back racing ski cross by the time the Olympic test event takes place in Sochi, Russia, in February 2013. That should give him plenty of time to regain his race sharpness and hone his legendary passing skills before he sets out to defend his world title in Voss, Norway, in March 2013.

“This is a time to refocus and start moving forward again,” said Del Bosco, who also won X Games gold in 2012. “I will do everything I can to come back strong and defend my title.” 

ABOUT THE NAKISKA SNOWDOWN

The world's ski cross and snowmobile freestyle stars are coming together on Dec. 8, 2012 when the Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup and the Monster Energy Snowmobile Freestyle headline the Nakiska Snowdown. As the first race of the 2012-13 Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup season, the inaugural Nakiska ski cross World Cup will set the stage for the upcoming season. One-hundred and ninety of the world’s best skiers, from 25 nations, will be vying for $30,000 in prize money. For more information about the Nakiska Snowdown and the Audi FIS Nakiska Ski Cross World Cup, visit www.alpinecanada.org/snowdown.