Ferguson, Cook Win at Festival of Flight
Two-time Olympian Emily Cook and U.S. Champion Dylan Ferguson took the wins Saturday at the Utah Olympic Park's Festival of Flight. Athletes from Australia, Argentina and Great Britain competed in the season opener.
The event marked the first FIS event in North America for the 2011-12 season and featured the new head-to-head bracket style format which will be used on the World Cup tour. Athletes jumped with freestyle aerialist and silver medalist Jeret "Speedy" Peterson, who died earlier this week, on their minds.
- Veteran and two-time Olympian Emily Cook took the win with a final jump of a full-double-full (two flips with three twists).
- U.S. Champion Dylan Ferguson beat out teammate Scotty Bahrke by one point with a double full-full-full (three flips with four twists)
- 16 year-old Jonathan Lillis attempted Jeret "Speedy" Peterson's signature trick the Hurricane (three flips with five twists).
- This was the first event utilizing the new bracket style aerials format. Athletes qualified into the brackets, then went head-to-head on scores before making it to the one-jump final with four athletes (men and women)
- Dylan Ferguson is currently attending Westminster College in Salt Lake City.
"Today was awesome it was good to see all the development athletes progressing and it's fun to have a summer contest with all the teammates. I was stoked with my jumping today, all my jumps went well, it all worked out for me in the end."
"I liked the new format; it adds a lot of excitement to the sport. I wasn't thinking too much about strategy I tend to leave that to the coaches, I just try and do my best jump every time I can. It was a hard win today but it was a good win."
"I threw the hurricane because it's important to do our best to remember everything that Speedy did for freestyle. He's the reason I started aerials, it just seemed like the right thing to do. I either wanted to win doing his trick or get fourth trying - that’s what he would have done."
Festival of Flight
Park City, UT - July 30, 2011
1. Dylan Ferguson (Amesbury, MA) – 118.55
2. Scotty Bahrke (Tahoe City, CA) – 117.65
3. Hans Gardner (Orchard Park, NY) – 93.58
1. Emily Cook (Belmont, MA) – 90.59
2. Laura Peel (AUS) - 75.91
3. Allie Lee (Manchester, CT) - 70.76