FIS Development Programme
The FIS Aid & Promotion Programme for Developing Ski Nations was established following the decision by the 1996 FIS Congress in Christchurch (NZE) that the election of FIS World Championships Organisers would be delegated to the FIS Council and that each Candidate would pay a registration fee that would be used for the development of skiing. The Aid & Promotion programme then got under way in 1997/98, funded by the World Championship Candidates fees.
More than 15 years later, at its Meetings during the FIS Congress 2012 in Kangwonland (KOR), the Council decided to connect the Aid & Promotion Programme with FIS Solidarity Support so that there is a better coordination between these two areas and to avoid the overlapping of activities. A Council working group was appointed to undertake this project, and the programme encompassing both of these components has been re-named the FIS Development Programme (FDP). The valuable work of the Aid & Promotion working group over many years, and in particular the work of Paul Michaelidis, Joseph Meiner and Sung-Won Lee who have been involved with the programme since its outset in 1999, has been recognised and the Council’s working group will continue to draw on their experience moving forward.
The scope of the programme is designed to improve developing ski nations’ own knowledge and competences, and two experts from the FIS Development Programme member National Ski Associations will be appointed by the Council to serve as advisors in the working group. Professional support for the organisation of the activities will be handled through the FIS Office and by the appointed experts arranging the training camps and other activities.
FDP activities 2013/14
- The following activities will be offered by the FIS Development Programme in 2013/14:
- FDP Leaders’ Seminar, organised by Josef Zenhäusern and the FIS Office
- FDP Youth & Children’s Seminar, organised by Josef Zenhäusern and the FIS Office
- FDP Nordic Training Camps, organised by Sandro Pertile in cooperation with the FIS Nordic Race Directors
- FDP Alpine Training Camps, organised by Markus Malsiner in cooperation with Janez Fleré, FIS Alpine Technical Coordinator
- FDP Freestyle Skiing & Snowboarding Training Camps, will be organised as from season 2014/15
- FIS Solidarity, managed by Josef Zenhäusern
- Free Training Days, provided by the World Ski Championships Candidates and Organisers, coordinated by the FIS Office