At the halfway point of the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, the International Olympic Committee released some interesting facts and figures surrounding the Games. With the last week underway in Sochi, these numbers are sure to continue to grow and impress.
· Participation by 88 National Olympic Committees – an Olympic Winter Games record
· Six National Olympic Committees participating for the first time — Malta, Paraguay, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga and Zimbabwe
· A record of 2,856 athletes, more than 40 percent ladies
The Olympic Venues
· More than 1.2 million tickets sold
· Olympic Park visitors at times in excess of 100,000 per day
· More than 1.3 million athletes, spectators and other participants transported efficiently
Protecting Clean Athletes
· 1,799 doping tests conducted thus far in the most comprehensive doping detection process in the history of the Olympic Winter Games.
· A record 2,453 tests planned for Sochi
The Broadcast Audience
· On track for record worldwide Olympic Winter Games coverage on television and on digital platforms – cumulative total of more than 88,000 hours
· Potential audience of 4.1 billion worldwide
· Games broadcast by a record number of TV channels (more than 300), including a record number of free-to-air channels (more than 200)