Already in 1905 the first ski jumping competition in Engelberg was held and in 1908 Ski-Club Engelberg constructed its own jumping facility at Sandrain. In the 1920’s the first Titlis-Schanze was built, but after a ski jumping competition had lead to the death of a jumper, it was soon converted and later even Sandrain-Schanze was reactivated. Finally in 1964 the Kleintitlisschanze-K62 with floodlights was constructed and only a short time later the Bubenschanze-K36.
After the news came up that Unterwasser would no longer be part of the traditional Swiss Ski Jumpers Tournament, the planning for the Großtitlisschanze started. 300,000 SFr were financed by Ski-Club Engelberg and in 1971 the Großtitlisschanze was inaugurated with a competition of the Ski Jumpers Tournament. With his second jump on 102 meters Sepp Zehnder wrote skiing history, because he landed the first one hundred-meter-leap in Switzerland.
Ten years later the hill was already out-fashioned and a 350,000 Franks expensive renovation became necessary. At first the public financing of the project failed, but finally people managed to get all the advances together. On February 26, 1984 the Großtitlisschanze could be reopened as planned with the very first Team World Championship competition.
Since 1980 Engelberg has been steady station of Ski Jumping World Cup and this status was secured with the last conversion of the Großtitlisschanze into a K125 from August 2000 to fall 2001 and the renewing of the inrun in 2006.