The very first ski jumping competition in Kuopio already took place in 1886. Then the first ski jump was built round 1900 and jumps of about 14 meters were possible. In 1910 an additional 20 meter hill was constructed. The largest hill of Finland at that time, a K90, was built in Kuopio in 1949. In 1958 the construction of a smaller K50 beside the K90 followed.
The first World Cup competition at Puijo was held in 1995. Finally in 1998 the large hill K120 was built as it stands today, so it hasn’t been changed since. After Kuopio was the yearly opening of the ski jumping World Cup for some time, since some years its HS 131 has been the 2nd station of the annual Nordic Tournament.