Zoe Gillings backed up for new season
British snowboard cross racer Zoe Gillings, who is currently ranked sixth in the world, recently confirmed in an BBC interview that she has been backed up with official fundings of UK Sport again.
After the collapse of SnowsportGB in 2010, right prior to he Olympics, the Isle of Man snowboarder was forced to take care of her own programme.
This March, she was told that she would receive podium fundings towards Sochi 2014 again.
“The funding has been a massive help. It's been awesome,” said Gillings in the BBC interview.
Coming out from one of her best seasons so far, she continued: “A lot of work has been done over the last six months between UK Sport and British Ski and Snowboard, for which I am extremely grateful.”
Due to the re-instated funding, Gillings did an intensive training camp in Leeds and was also able to do a on-snow preparation for her new season, starting in Montafon, Austria, on Dec 6 – 8.
A major step as she couldn't do so last year.
In addition, the 27-years-old now has a full team supporting her consisting of a performance director, nutritionist, strength and conditioning coaches as well as a physiotherapist.
According to this, Gillings is very optimistic for the up-coming races as she stated in the article.
“They are some of the best people in the business and I couldn't realistically compete for an Olympic medal without them.
I've competed at World Cup competitions for several years but this is the first time I've had such a professional programme."
You can review the full BBC article here!