FIS Newsflash articles 2012-2013
Find your news
Schladming 2013 – less than 50 days to go! Organisers count on sustainability
Sunday, 16th December marked the 50-day countdown to the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships 2013 in Schladming (AUT), the ultimate highlight of the Alpine Skiing season 2012/13.
The Schladming 2013 Organisers have reaffirmed their commitment to sustainability which is manifested in the Charter “Ski Festival with Heart – for our Environment”. The official document lays out the foundations and aims of sustainable World Championships through five objectives which the Austrian Ski Association, the region of Schladming, the Province of Styria and the Republic of Austria have signed.
Among other, the commitment will include the following concrete actions:
- Waste reduction: Reusable products such as the Schladming 2013 World Championships mug, waste separation and compostable dishes
- Climate protection: Biomass-based local heat supply systems for public buildings such as the media centre and Planet Planai
- Environmentally friendly mobility for guests and spectators by a number of special trains, free public buses and a special electro bus
- The use of regional products and sustainable food in collaboration with local providers
- An ecological infrastructure taking advantage of already existing slopes at the Planai ski resort. A new sewage plant, an upgraded railway station and a new Congress centre have been built following the highest environmental standards and will provide associated benefits to society also beyond the World Championships.
To stay informed on the latest news, visit the official Schladming 2013 website: www.schladming2013.at