On Tuesday, 8th December, the Cross-Country Committee and Sub-Committee for World and Continental Cups in Cross-Country held an online meeting in order to discuss current matters regarding the World Cup and FIS competitions.
The committee reviewed the situation for the FIS Cross-Country World Cup events scheduled in the 3rd and 4th period as well as the World Cup Finals 2021. In connection to the calendar, arising updates of the World Cup rules were included in the discussion.
The updated World Cup program includes:
- Confirmed World Cup events in Davos (SUI), Dresden (GER) and Tour de Ski (SUI, ITA)
- Competition-free weekend after Tour de Ski (16th /17th January)
- Scheduled as before are the World Cup events in Lahti (FIN) and Falun (SWE)
- Rescheduled World Cup Ulricehamn (SWE) to 6th and 7th February
- Confirmed Nordic World Ski Championships in Oberstdorf (GER)
In the evaluation, committee members were asked to state their plans for their teams regarding the scheduled World Cup in Nove Mesto from 20th and 21st February.
The Norwegian Ski Association is in contact with the Norwegian government regarding travel regulations. Updates are expected later this season.
World Cup Finals
As the Chinese Ski Association has withdrawn Beijing to host the World Cup Finals, the committee has approved to give interested National Ski Associations the possibility for a written application until Monday, 14th December. The decision will be published within a few days.
World Cup Rule adaptions:
A modification of the entries and registration rules as well as the cancellation rules was put in place in order to be able to react on late cancellations of World Cup participants and to ensure to spread the resulting financial consequences.
- Teams are required to enter a confirmation of participation before the actual preliminary entries.
- In addition, art. 9.2.0 was created, defining the deadlines of the confirmation of participation for the current season.
- Financial penalties were defined in case of cancellation after the respective deadlines (except for cancellation resulted by a C-19 outbreak in the team).
13.2 Cancellation rules accomodation
- Adaptions in case of cancellations until 13 days before the first competition.
- Cancellation fees to be minimized if cancellation is due to outbreak of Covid-19 within the team
All decisions are subject to the approval of the FIS Council.