SOLDIER HOLLOW, UT (Feb. 2, 2017) - Sweden’s Anna Dyvik skied to her second gold of the week, winning the women’s 10k freestyle at the USANA FIS U23 Cross Country World Championships at Soldier Hollow. Dyvik took a 16.8 second win over Norway’s silver medalist Tirol Udnes Weng with Lovise Heimdal winning bronze.
It was the second gold for Dyvik, who won the opening classic sprint on Tuesday - her first career U23 medals. In 2014, she was a part of the gold medal relay for Sweden at Junior World Championships and won bronze that same year in the skiathlon.
It was the first U23 medal for Weng, who is a four-time Junior Worlds medalist. Heimdal also has a Junior Worlds relay bronze to her credit.
For the second-straight day, Russia came away with a podium sweep - this time in the men’s 15k freestyle at the USANA FIS U23 Cross Country World Championships. Alexander Bolshunov took gold with a 21.8 second margin over teammate Alexey Chervotkin, who took silver. Bronze went to Denis Spitsov.
Running last in the field for the interval start race, Cervotkin provided drama in the final stage of the race, crossing the line to take silver and bumping Andorra’s Irneu Esteve Altimiras into fourth, completing the podium sweep.
The Russian U23 team had been motivated by the similar podium sweep by the Junior Worlds team from Russia a day earlier in the 10k freestyle.
The gold was Bolshunov’s second medal of the U23 Championships, having won silver in the classic sprint two days ago. "For us (Russian sweep), there is only one chance to repeat the same, as we did today. I did not know which pair of skis I should take for today's race, but I made the right choice, my skis were the best. It’s very, very cool, I couldn’t explain my emotions now, its really cool," said Bolshunov's
The race was run under overcast skies with light rain during a portion of the race, but track conditions remained firm.
The U23 World Championships continue Saturday with a skiathlon.
- Anna Dyvik of Sweden won her second U23 World Championship gold taking the women’s 10k freestyle in 26 minutes, 14.0 seconds - a 16.8 second margin.
- Norway took the remaining medals with Tirol Udnes Weng silver and Lovise Heimdale bronze.
- Russia’s Alexander Bolshunov took gold for his second medal of the U23 World Championships.
- Bolshunov led a Russian sweep with Alexey Chervotkin taking silver and Denis Spitsov bronze.
1. DYVIK Anna 1994 SWE 26:14.0
2. WENG Tiril Udnes 1996 NOR +16.8
3. HEIMDAL Lovise 1995 NOR +23.0
4. WENG Lotta Udnes 1996 NOR +23.1
5. TOMASINI Monica 1996 ITA +33.8
1. BOLSHUNOV Alexander 1996 RUS 32:55.7
2. CHERVOTKIN Alexey 1995 RUS +21.8
3. SPITSOV Denis 1996 RUS +28.2 36.42
4. ESTEVE ALTIMIRAS Irineu 1996 AND +50.1
5. KVAALE Gaute 1995 NOR +53.0